featured image

15 January 2026

Local politicians and councillors are urging the public to attend a North Sydney Council meeting this Monday 19 January and make their views known on proposals to increase annual rates by between 53% and 63%.

Council will vote on whether to proceed with an application to the NSW Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal for the second time in less than 12 months. A meeting last February approved an application for a 87% rise, which was ultimately rejected by IPART. The recommendation this time is for a general rate rise of 53%, and an increase in the minimum rate – paid by most ratepayers – of over 63%.

State MP for North Shore Felicity Wilson said “the overwhelming majority of ratepayers in North Sydney would be hit by a huge increase in rates – even after our community and IPART rejected the massive hike attempted just last year.”

She added: “A 53% rate increase is of a magnitude that far outstrips increases applied for, or approved, in Sydney metropolitan Councils for many years.” Council is already entitled to a 10% increase over the next three years, under automatic rate peg increases that occur every year, she noted.

“The question for our community is whether or not North Sydney Council should stick to the 10% increase, or be granted five times that to deliver services for our community. The feedback I’m receiving is that this is an unreasonable ask once more by this Council.” One of two Liberal councillors, Cr Jessica Keen, also told the Sun that she is against the Council recommendation.

“It is too high and not fair on North Sydney residents,” she said.

Keen said that “I know this proposal is of serious concern to many residents and small businesses, particularly in the context of cost-of-living pressures and ongoing community concerns about Council’s financial management.”

She added: “A decision of this magnitude requires transparency, trust, and genuine confidence that community priorities are being respected. I encourage residents to review the proposal carefully and make their views known.”

A public forum will be held at the Council chambers from 6pm to 7pm on Monday 19 January. Intending speakers need to be register on the Council website before 10am that day, while attendees can just show up on the night. The Council meeting will then begin at 7pm.

Seven of the ten councillors – four Real Independents, two Labor and one Green – supported the 87% rate increase last year. The two Liberals – Keen and Efi Carr, along with independent James Spenceley opposed it. In an acrimonious meeting last February, attended by nearly 200 residents, Spenceley attempted to cap the increase at 20% via an amendment but this was voted down.