
20 August 2026
After an initial meeting was cancelled because of venue availability, organisers of the “Return Bradfield Park to Our Community” campaign have confirmed they will now meet on Tuesday, August 25 at 6.30pm at Our Lady Star of the Sea Church.
The group of Kirribilli and Lavender Bay residents is calling on Premier Chris Minns to intervene and return Bradfield Park South to public use.
The harbourfront land beneath the Sydney Harbour Bridge remains partly fenced off and occupied by Transport for NSW as a works compound, despite arrangements associated with construction of the Sydney Harbour Tunnel ending in 2023, according to campaign organisers.
Campaigners say Bradfield Park South was vested for community use in the 1930s when the Sydney Harbour Bridge was built, with North Sydney Council appointed trustee.
View this post on Instagram
They say part of the park was later vested for Sydney Harbour Tunnel construction and maintenance in 1987, with that arrangement ending in June 2023.
Kirribilli chair Michael Bracka told the Sun that Transport for NSW had “not only maintained, but increased its work compounds since then”.
“It has also trashed the park so it is unusable and frankly unsafe,” Bracka said.
“The park should be rehabilitated, decontaminated, landscaped by Transport for NSW and returned to the community of Sydney as the legislative beneficial owners.”
The community groups want the land returned to North Sydney Council, remediated at the state government’s expense and restored as public parkland.
An earlier meeting had been scheduled for St Aloysius’ College on July 28, but the school withdrew the venue shortly before the event
17°C |
Thursday August 20, 2026